Why You Should Brush Your Dog's Teeth & DIY Toothpaste
Dental hygiene is an important aspect of health and wellness for dogs, just like it is for us pet parents. Regular brushing can help prevent or reduce plaque build-up, gum disease, and other oral health issues that can cause discomfort, tooth loss and potentially lead to more serious health problems. So if you are ready to join the brushing brigade, here are two simple recipes for DIY dog toothpaste that can help keep your furry friend's teeth shiny and gums healthy.
Recipe 1: Coconut Oil & Baking Soda
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 drops of peppermint essential oil (optional)
- Combine the coconut oil and baking soda in a small bowl.
- Mix until well combined and the texture is smooth.
- If desired, add a few drops of peppermint essential oil for a fresh, minty flavor or some low sodium beef bouillon broth for a meaty flavor.
- Transfer the mixture to a small container and store in a cool, dry place.
- To use, simply apply a small amount of toothpaste to your dog's toothbrush and brush their teeth as you normally would. Do not dip the toothbrush in the toothpaste or you may spread bacteria into your toothpaste.
Recipe 2: Bananas and Yogurt Toothpaste
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- Mash the banana in a small bowl until it is completely pureed.
- Add the yogurt to the mashed banana and mix until well combined. This must be unsweetened yogurt.
- Transfer the mixture to a small container and store in the refrigerator.
- To use, simply apply a small amount of toothpaste to your dog's toothbrush and brush their teeth as you normally would.
Why brush? Brushing….
- Prevents plaque build-up–a sticky film of bacteria that accumulates on the teeth and can lead to gum disease and other oral health problems.
- Helps maintain fresh breath: Brushing removes food particles and bacteria that can cause bad dog breath.
- Supports overall health: Good oral health is important for overall health and wellness, as oral bacteria can spread to other parts of the body.
- Saves money: Preventing dental problems through regular brushing can help save you money on costly dental procedures down the road.
In summary, brushing your dog's teeth is an important part of maintaining their overall wellness. By using these simple, natural and affordable DIY toothpaste recipes, you can help keep your dog's teeth and gums healthy!
As always, Chews Happiness!
The Pups @DogBullySticks